Monday 23 June 2014

Lucky to be a Member of the Purse Brick Mafia

So - ya'll know about my summer vacation scheduling adventures.  And if you've been reading, you also know about Puck's learning difficulties.  We have a tutor he visits every Friday and Sunday during the school year.  The Goblin King agreed to twice a week with the Parenting Coordinator because he thinks it was his idea.  

The tutor is a trained teacher - but because there's a bit of an oversupply here, she hasn't been able to find a full time teaching position.  She was working at Flower's day care, but quit last summer to focus on subbing and finding a full time teaching position.


And she's marvellous.  I really can't say anything bad about her.  She's worked with Puck both on his reading and his fine motor skills for almost a year and a half now.  And I've seen significant improvements.  Along with teaching him tricks and tips, she's boosted his confidence and worked with him on mindfulness and easing his anxiety.  Every time we have a new report or the teacher has suggested something or I've come across a new article suggesting something different, I've passed it along to to the tutor, and she's adapted her teaching style.  I'm really screwed if she does find something full time - but it's been great having her for as long as we have, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed that she at least makes it through the summer.

Another thing the tutor has been remarkably adept at is dealing with the Goblin King.  He's bounced cheques, "forgotten" to pay her, shown up late and cancelled last minute.  I'm sure if it were any other student - or if he was the only parent she was dealing with, she would have dropped Puck like a hot stone.  Luckily (for me) she's got infinite patience - and she's taken a shining to Puck.  Although she doesn't stand too much more than 5 feet tall (if she's even that big), and is just a slip of a thing, she puts the Goblin King back in line most of the time.

She solved the "forgetting to pay her" by making him pay each session in advance.  Cancelling last minute?  Sorry - you have to pay anyway.   Bounced a cheque?  Well you'll have to pay my $50 NSF fee.  (Hitting the Goblin King in the wallet always works).

Typically, she's stick-handled these issues completely on her own.  But there's one thing she just hasn't been able to resolve.  He won't answer his e-mail.  I've never been able to resolve that one either.  The Goblin King sucks at communication in general - but will regularly not respond and tell me (and her) that his phone was either broken or lost.

The tutor had to change a Sunday appointment a few weeks ago - and couldn't get him to respond.  She asked me if there was anything I could do.  Other than e-mailing him myself, I wasn't able to - and as a result, Puck didn't get a much needed session the day before his standardized testing began.  They ended up having a discussion at Puck's Friday meeting - and he decided to cancel rather than reschedule.  (Side note:  he told me (although I'd seen her e-mails suggesting several alternate times, or just doing a 45 minute session instead), that she "cancelled" the session and I couldn't blame him.)  He also apologized for not responding as his e-mail wasn't working (even though he'd sent me an e-mail on the Tuesday - and she'd sent him the first of two messages on Monday).  Apparently after this mix-up, they decided that she would both text and e-mail him if she was making a change or had a question.  I'm not sure how that would work - as he gets his e-mail on the same phone he texts on, but he seemed to think it was a solution.  And she accepted it.

So today - when I asked whether he had scheduled Puck's sessions on his vacation time, she said she'd e-mailed him twice, texted him once, and perhaps his e-mail and/or phone wasn't working again.  

Ahhh...such an innocent little thing.
  
Of course, I anticipated that the summer schedule would be different (as it was last year), and requested her vacation schedule well over a month ago.  We scheduled sessions for my time about three times a week (increased from two both because Puck's out of school and because his father only took him once over the course of last summer, and I anticipate he'll put the same weight on it as last year).

And so here, I'm off again - to send him an e-mail to remind him of his responsibilities.  To remind him (again) how important this is to Puck.  And to bite my tongue to the point where I can feel my bottom teeth with my top ones because this asshat needs a fucking pursebrick.



(PS - kudos to Cuckoo Mama for a mention last week.  I truly hope that all of your prayers are answered.  This one's for you.)  


Follow Live by Surprise on TwitterGoogle+FacebookPinterest and Bloglovin


No comments:

Post a Comment