Thursday 5 February 2015

Letter to My Ex

This week, I was invited by Vicki Shemin, a Collaborative Attorney/Mediator/Therapist and Professor to participate in a survey about my divorce and write a letter to my ex (more info here) for inclusion in a book.  If you're recently divorced - I invite you to stop by and fill out the survey too.

Dear Ex:
I've told every single person that you've involved in our divorce that I know that you love our children.  I wonder sometimes though if you hate me more.
I am not your friend, but I am also not your enemy.  
I hope that we have the same goal - to raise happy and healthy children.  I wish that we could somehow agree how to make that happen.  I wish that you could see that going into defensive mode every single time something needs to be discussed just makes things more difficult and gets in the way of our ability to communicate with each other.  
I don't regret marrying you.  The experiences that we shared have been invaluable to me.  I have learned so much.  And I have two beautiful children - how could I regret the marriage that resulted in the loves of my life.  I am thankful every day.  
The years since I've left have also taught me that I made the right decision.  I know now that the children are more likely to thrive without the mess that our relationship was (is) hanging over their heads.  I think that if you were able to come to that realization, you might be able to heal and move on.  Truly, I wish nothing more than that for you.  I wish you peace.
From the Mother of Your Children


Image Credit: “Pretty Women Writing Book” by anankkm / freedigitalphotos.net
Follow Live by Surprise on TwitterGoogle+FacebookPinterest and Bloglovin
  


No comments:

Post a Comment