Thursday 13 November 2014

What Would You Do? - Asking My Readers How I Should Interact with the Goblin King

I've been put in the uncomfortable position of having to make up for my ex-husbands social ineptitude yet again.  I've mentioned that Puck has a tutor before (in January, February and March).  I wrote a blog in September about scheduling issues (I can't find it, so I'm guessing I didn't publish it)...but the long and short of it is - the Goblin King has issues with the tutor.  
He's cancelled with short notice, didn't respond when we were trying to schedule times for this season's tutoring in August (waited until the day before the first one was scheduled in September), not paid her on a couple of occasions, and in general, is a bit of a jerk.  Ok...not just a bit.  

Like me, the Tutor has pushed back.  Set boundaries.  If he cancels last minute, he has to pay for the session.  She's called him on some sharp and pointed e-mails.  She's involved me, for the most part, only when absolutely necessary.

So this morning when the tutor copied me on an e-mail chain, I wasn't incredibly surprised.

This was her original e-mail, sent Tuesday morning:
Good evening Mr. GK:
Is there any chance you and Puck would be available for tutoring on Saturday rather than Sunday this weekend? 1pm to 2pm for example?
Thank you,The Tutor
The response she got back twenty-four hours later? 
Can you not live up too your commitment of tutoring for Sunday. Are you cancelling Puck's session?
Now, I know that all my readers are incredibly smart.  You all read the first e-mail and figured out that she has a conflict and was proposing an alternate time.  You probably also figured out that she was e-mailing not just two or three days in advance, but five full days in advance.  

You also read his response and thought - wow - that was uncalled for.  I know you guys.  You also think the Goblin King is a bit of an ass.  You'll note that that's the full e-mail.  He didn't even put "Hello Tutor" or any other type of greeting.  And he certainly didn't sign his name on the bottom.  Of course, if I'd written that, I wouldn't want my name at the bottom either.

Granted, those are just social conventions for writing.  Not everyone has to use them.  But overall, I'd think if you were e-mailing to a person that you knew was very well educated (the tutor has her Masters degree), and you were trying to impress, you probably would have added those things.
But I'm digressing.  Did you note that he doesn't even acknowledge the fact that she's proposed an alternate time?  I think it's potentially possible that he didn't understand it (I've said before that our son's learning disabilities are likely hereditary).  But there's absolutely no way that someone in today's society should think that that's an appropriate way to talk to anybody.  And certainly not to someone who is a caregiver for your child.

Now I'll give the Tutor credit.  She's pushed back a few times.  She's told the Goblin King when he's out of line.  I'm sure she stewed for a full 12 hours before deciding how to respond.  Because I got cc'd on this e-mail this morning, along with the rest of the e-mails above:
Good morning, Mr. GK, A conflict has come up and I need to reschedule. I am happy to offer an alternate time on Saturday and can offer a session in (the city you live in) at a library of your choice (same price) if that helps. Unfortunately, sometimes conflicts do arise that are beyond my control. The best I can do is offer you as much notice as possible and as many alternatives as I can. I wrote to you as soon as I learned there would be complications. I know how difficult rescheduling can be, but I hope that we can come up with an alternative that will work. Sincerely,The Tutor
Here's my problem.  My first instinct when I saw the e-mail was to send one to the Goblin King telling him to stop being an asshat.  I resisted that urge, and blogged instead.  And now I'm putting it out to you.  What should I do?

As I see it, my options are:
  1. Ignore the e-mail completely and let the tutor and the Goblin King work it out.
  2. Email the Goblin King only.  Tell him that he's an asshat and that normal people don't act that way - and to stop it.  
  3. Email the Goblin King only.  Suggest that perhaps he didn't understand that she was suggesting an alternate time, but she was.  Suggest that he has three options:  a)  cancel the session himself.  b)  accept the alternate time.  c)  suggest another alternate time that works better.  The e-mail would also suggest that his tone is not conducive to civil conversation, and perhaps he should think about changing it in the future.  Suggest that he needs to apologize for his behavior.
  4. Email the Tutor and copy the Goblin King.  Apologize to the Tutor for his behavior and explain that I understand that it was out of line even if he doesn't.  Express an understanding that the Goblin King often cancels last minute, and that she acted appropriately giving five days notice and suggesting an alternate time.  Suggest that the Goblin King has learning disabilities (he hates that), and possibly didn't understand that she was suggesting an alternate time.  Suggest that if he has issues communicating in the future, perhaps I should be copied on all e-mails so that I can intervene if necessary.
  5. Email the Tutor only.  Apologize for the Goblin King's behavior.  (PS on this one - I do this a lot).
Well readers?  What do you think?  Is one of my options the best?  Or a combination of the above?  Or something completely different?  Use the comments.  Tell me what I should do.  Because I'm at a loss here.

What Would You Do?  Co-Parenting Nightmares Live By Surprise

Follow Live by Surprise on TwitterGoogle+FacebookPinterest and Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment